Friday, June 9, 2017

Seneca Rocks

Seneca Rocks is a rocky outcrop at the top of a mountain in West Virginia, a small town below and to the west of this mountain, and a state park encompassing the mountain.  The center of town is marked by an intersection between US-33, WV-28 and WV-55.  From the state park's parking lot, just north of the intersection, I could see the west face of the outcrop, although it was partially obscured by some trees in the foreground.

I was lucky enough to be able to park near the trailhead, marked by a sign indicating that the trail was 1.5 miles long, gained 1000 feet of elevation, and led to an observation platform.  After the first few hundred feet, the trail led to a bridge spanning the Potomac River.  Well, actually the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River.  This shot looks northward and downstream.

After crossing the river, I continued onward and upward, around switchbacks and even up a stairway, which was thankfully made of wood instead of stone.  After I reached the observation platform, I took this shot of the parking lot and a nearby picnic pavilion.  The Bigfootmobile is hiding below some trees toward the left.

Here's the view looking north.  The main road is both WV-28 and WV-55.

This sign was pretty close to the observation platform.  Let's just say that I went here and no farther.

I was able to work my way down a small side trail to see a bit of the east face of the rock.  It's hard to tell rock from sky because both were grey, but you can see some of the east face through the trees.

After taking this shot, I decided it was time to retreat down the mountain to the parking lot.  As you might expect, a whole different set of muscles started to complain during my downward hike, but I made it down, tired and bit sore, but ready to drive back to Maryland.

For more on Seneca Rocks, go to Virginia Trail Guide and Trip Advisor.

No comments:

Post a Comment