Sunday, November 16, 2014

Music Break

Now that I'm back home, it's time for a music break.  The first selection is For The Heart by Elvis Presley, which I first heard back in college because one of my roommates had the album which included the song.  Although from the 1970's, its backing vocals remind me of the Jordanaires, who appeared on over 300 of Elvis's songs starting in 1956.

The Proclaimers are a Scottish group consisting of identical twin brothers Charlie and Craig Reid.  This video for their song 500 Miles features the cast and crew of Doctor Who, during the time of the Tenth Doctor, played by David Tennant.  The Reids also make a brief appearance.

Weird Al Yankovic is known for his numerous parodies, but he also records original songs, such as the theme to the movie UHF.  The title is an acronym for "ultra high frequency", a range of television broadcasting frequencies.

In 2009, Billy Ray Cyrus came out with Back To Tennessee, written for Hannah Montana, The Movie.  The slide guitar solo reminds me of something that George Harrison would play.

Since I started off with one Elvis, I'll finish with another - sort of.  The last number is Tear Off Your Own Head, written by Elvis Costello (real name Declan MacManus) and performed by the Bangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment