Thursday, September 26, 2024

Winslow, Arizona

After visiting the abandoned sites of Twin Arrows and Two Guns, I continued eastward to a place that is very much active, and famous because of a song.  But before I went Winslow's most well-known "corner", I found a place to park on 1st Street, along which extends the First Street Pathway Park.  The park includes these "Art Cars".

As I walked westward on 1st Street, I came upon the city's totem pole.  Some BNSF rail cars are in the background.

Near the park's west end is this windmill.

I reversed direction and came upon these old Santa Fe railcars and a crossing signal.

At the east end of the railcar exhibit, you can see that they sit on two tracks.

I soon proceeded to where the line from Take It Easy, written by singer Jackson Browne and Eagles singer/guitarist Glenn Frey, "I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona", has been memorialized.  This is the intersection of 2nd Street and Kinsley Avenue.  You can see a picture of a girl in her "flatbed Ford" in a first story window, and appropriately enough, and eagle perched in front of one in the second story.  It's my understanding that although the statue sort of resembles Browne, that's not its intention.  Although a lot of people were around, I managed to take these pictures without anyone in them.

Another statue leans against a street sign for Glenn Frye Drive.  If it weren't for the mustache, the long hair would remind me of Eagles bassist Timothy B. Schmit.

Standin' On The Corner Park also includes this marker, indicating that the location was along the old U.S. Route 66.

After my visit to this park, and finding some lunch, I drove the east end of Winslow and found its 9-11 memorial, which includes two steel girders from the World Trade Center in New York City.

Near the memorial is this marker which indicates when Winslow was founded.

As I conclude this post about Winslow, I think that Browne and Frey gave some good advice, as in "Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy".

No comments:

Post a Comment