Thursday, September 26, 2024

Homolovi State Park

Located just off Arizona highway 87, Homolovi State Park is northeast of Winslow and preserves some archaeological sites built by various people including ancestors of the Hopi.  While these ancestors are sometimes called Anasazi or Ancestral Pueblo, the Hopi call them Hisat'sinom, which means "long-ago people" in their language.

The park includes two clusters of ruins that are open to the public.  At the visitor center, the receptionist suggested that I first drive northward to the area known as Homolovi II and afterwards visit Homolovi I, near the southern end of the park.  On my way to Homolovi II, I encountered some local inhabitants.

At Homolovi II, which was reportedly inhabited between 1330 and 1400, I followed a modern concrete walkway, part of which is seen on the left, to this first ruin.

This underground building, known as a kiva, is partially protected by a modern fence.

From Homolovi II, you can look toward the Little Colorado River, which was probably the main water source for the inhabitants.

I left Homolovi II and drove over to Homolovi I.  In this area, there's no concrete walkway but a dirt footpath (except for a small walkway that leads to a picnic table).  The path led me to this ruin.

I continued along the part and came across this wall, on top of which are potsherds.  It's very common for visitors here, myself included, to find potsherds and place them on top of flat rocks.

Here are two rocks with some potsherds.  The small one on the right, which appears to have dark and light stripes, was found and placed there by yours truly.

Over a dozen potshards have been placed on this rock.

Before I left, I took a pic of another ruin.

For more about Homolovi State Park, go to Visit Winslow, Are We Lost Yet? and Time(dot)Travel(dot)Trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment