Monday, June 5, 2023

Two Brief Stops In West Virginia

As stated at the end of my earlier post, I stopped in at two places between the small community of Cass and my undisclosed location in West Virginia.  The first was the Green Bank Observatory near Green Bank, another small community.  In this area, wi-fi and electronic devices such as cell phones are not allowed.  The observatory had an observation deck for its main telescope, which (like many things in West Virginia) is named after the late Senator (D-WV) and klansman Robert C. Byrd.  I think I got a pretty good shot, considering that the telescope was a mile away from the observation deck, according to the "measure distance" feature on GoogleMaps.

I also got a shot of a smaller and closer radio telescope, with another one behind it on the left.  According to a sign, electronic devices beyond a certain point, even cameras, were forbidden.

Before leaving the place, I took a pic of this contraption near its entrance, which appears to have been part of an old and maybe more primitive radio telescope.

I resumed driving and eventually arrived at Seneca Rocks, a small town which includes a rocky outcrop of the same name, and in which is the intersection of US-33, WV-28 and WV-55.  Six years ago, I climbed up the trail to an observation platform near the outcrop.  See this blog's archives for June 2017.  This time, however, since my body is six years older and I did not have proper hiking attire, I did not repeat my previous feat.  I settled on photographing Seneca Rocks from a distance.

However, I did walk as far as a bridge over the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River, and as I did six years ago, took a shot facing north and downstream.

My second brief stop complete, I drove back to my undisclosed location.

No comments:

Post a Comment