Monday, June 19, 2023

New Market Battlefield - Part 2

Across the road from the Bushong farm seen in Part 1 is a tunnel that goes under I-81.  On the other side, a trail leads to other areas of the New Market battlefield.  I walked through the tunnel but there wasn't anything worth seeing close to the other side.

Further on up the road from the Bushong farm, the road comes to an end, close to the location of a New York union battery that was captured by confederate cadets from Virginia Military Academy.  Today, the place is marked by another brass (or brass-plated) cannon and a caisson behind it.

About 500 feet northwest of the New York battery are two more cannons.

At the end of the aforementioned park road is this plaque recounting the battle and the capture of a union battery by VMI cadets.

I left the battlefield and drove back into the town of New Market and then turned northward onto U.S. route 11.  About a mile north of the town is a monument for the union troops from Pennsylvania who gave their lives in the battle.

In front of the Pennsylvania memorial is a diagram of the battle.

Over the years, I've driven through the New Market area more times than I can count, and have occasionally stopped for lunch in the area.  Today, however, I finally got myself to visit one of its main attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment