Thursday, June 22, 2023

Trains In The Rain

Earlier today, I drove almost 100 miles away from my undisclosed location to another part of Virginia, hoping that the weather was different.  Boy, was I wrong.  Despite some heavy downpours along two interstate highways, I was able to reach the town of Clifton Forge and visit the C&O Railway Heritage Center.  The place exhibits rolling stock from the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway, which later evolved into the Chessie System and eventually into CSX.  As the rain kept coming down, I took a shot of this C&O caboose, near a small building where you buy tickets (which is not the wooden shack to the left).

Near this caboose is a passenger coach from the Church Street Station Railroad Company, which was based in Orlando, Florida.

This building, called the Henry Hoffman Heritage Center, houses numerous railroad-related exhibits.

The diesel-powered 5828 and the steam-powered 614 sit on two adjacent tracks, with cabooses and other cars behind them.

Here's the 614 from the front, with a line of cars behind it.

The building marked "JD" was probably a control tower from which trains were directed.  The building with the town's name on the side is where I bought my ticket.

I took a closeup of this caboose, which is numbered 3168.

Here's another caboose, numbered 90219, some more cars to the left, and some old signals on the ground.

This steam locomotive, numbered 1622, and its coal tender look pretty impressive, but they're only part of a painted mural.

Finally, here's a wider shot of the caboose numbered 3168, an unidentified white caboose, some coaches behind the cabooses, and a disembodied pair of wheels.

After taking the last shot, I decided that I'd had enough (mainly of getting rained on) and drove into downtown Clifton Forge to find some lunch, of which I was successful.  After filling my belly, I had a nice wet drive back to my undisclosed location.

No comments:

Post a Comment