Thursday, June 8, 2023

More Of Blackwater Falls State Park

Today I went back to Blackwater Falls State Park and saw its namesake waterfall from a different perspective and some other sights.  From a visitor center on the west side of the falls, a walkway led down to several viewing decks.  Here's shot of the falls from one of them, located above the falls.

This shot was from a viewing area about even with the top of the falls, or maybe just a bit higher.

Finally, I got to the lowest viewing deck, seen in the pictures of the falls in this past Tuesday's post, and took this shot.

Looking upward and across the gorge, I could see the viewing deck from which I took Tuesday's pictures.

This swing along the walkway might have gotten the late John Denver's approval.

After viewing the falls (again), I drove to the Blackwater Lodge, which includes a restaurant called The Smokehouse.  After eating lunch there, I walked out to a viewing area behind it and took a pic of the Blackwater River downstream from the falls.  It looks like a gorge with lots of trees and a rocky area.

I then drove and hiked to a viewing area called Lindy Point.  Again, I took a picture of the river and its gorge, with a large rock formation in the foreground.

The last place I explored was Balanced Rock.  Unlike its namesake in Arches National Park in Utah, this one is surrounded by trees.  (Go to this blog's archives for August 2013 and August 2015 for Utah's Balanced Rock.)  As you can see, it's one rock balanced on top of another.

After seeing Balanced Rock, I decided that my day of exploration was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment