Saturday, June 24, 2023

Back To The Blue Ridge Tunnel

Last December, I visited the Blue Ridge Tunnel near Afton, Virginia.  I only walked from a parking lot to its east end.  Today, I hiked to its west end, which is reached from the trail connecting the tunnel to a parking lot off U.S. highway 250.  Actually, it's the same trail as before, just the part on the west side of the tunnel.  Here's the sign just next to the parking lot.

While the two trailheads are called "east" and "west", I really think that they should be "northwest" and "southeast".  From its west end, the trail was made of dark gravel and led through a forest.

The trail led mostly downward.  I soon arrived at the tunnel's northwest end as a hiker was emerging and going in the opposite direction.  Of the two lights near his head, the left is from the other end of the tunnel, and right appears to be someone's flashlight.

This brick, with the name "CROZET TUNNEL", is in the wall near the tunnel's opening.  For some information on who Crozet was, go to my post from last December.

There were quite a few people, and even a few dogs, hanging out near the opening.  I soon turned around and started back toward the parking lot.  Here's a shot of the trail looking northward away from the tunnel.  If you're walking down from the parking lot and see the black mesh fence, you've almost reached the tunnel.

After some mostly uphill hiking, I soon arrived back at the parking lot and drove to my next destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment