After I left Blanding, Utah, I continued south on U.S. route 191 and then west on Utah route 96 and found the parking area for the Butler Wash Ruins. From there, a trail leads to a viewing place to see the ruins. According to various signs, the relevant authorities want them to be seen from a distance. Most of the ruins that I saw are in the upper right alcove, as seen here.
I took a closer shot of the aforementioned right alcove. You can also see some structures in the smaller alcove to the left.
Here's a different part of the canyon. A small apparently isolated structure is seen near the middle in this next photo.
Before leaving, I had to take a shot of the lower alcove, which doesn't appear to contain any ruins.
By my rough estimation and a bit of help from GoogleMaps, the aforementioned trail appears to be about 2,000 feet long. I'd say that it goes mostly uphill from the parking lot to the viewing area, which means that it's easier going back. For more information, beside the official links above, go to Anasazi Hikes, Road Trip Ryan, GJHikes, the eponymous site of Chris Brooks, and Wilderness Walks.
No comments:
Post a Comment