Today I ventured out of my undisclosed location and visited all three units of Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument. I started by going to the monument's visitor center in Mountainair, New Mexico, near the intersection of U.S. route 60 and New Mexico route 55. Going north on NM 55 brought me to the small town of Punta de Agua and the Quarai unit.
I know that this post and others from this trip are very late in the day. It's not just the time zone difference, but I took so many pictures that I had to recharge my camera before I could transfer them to my computer. So please forgive me, or just go to bed and read these posts in the morning. Anyway, here's the Quarai church, most likely built by the local natives under the direction of Spanish missionaries.
This rectangular ruin, according to some nearby informational displays, is what's left of the walls of a chapel.
Near the old chapel is another ruin.
Here's the inside of the church seen above. Some vegetation can be seen at the top of these walls.
The church walls are seen from a different angle.
Near the church are some more ruins and some trees.
This last area of ruins includes a circular structure, which I believe was once part of a tower.
To learn more about the Salinas Pueblo Missions, besides the link above, go to National Park Foundation, New Mexico True, NPS History, Visit Albuquerque and Western National Parks.
No comments:
Post a Comment