As mentioned in my previous post, I went to the northwest corner of New Mexico. This is where it meets the northeast corner of Arizona, the southeast corner of Utah, and the southwest corner of Colorado. The Four Corners Monument is reached by a road that connects to U.S. route 160 in New Mexico, and is run by the Navajo Nation. As you walk in from the parking lot, which is south of the monument, here is what you might see. The flags include one from each state.
The central part of the monument includes the names and seals of each state embedded in the walkway.
At the center is this marker. Yes, you can indeed stand in four states at once.
Here's the view to the north.
Each of the four sides of the monument includes one of these structures, this one being in Arizona.
One sign, which I did not photograph, indicates that the Navajo are greatly offended by cremation, and commands that no ashes are spread on their land. To learn more about Four Corners Monument, besides the link above, go to Visit Arizona, New Mexico True, Utah Life Elevated, Visit Durango Colorado and Visit Four Corners.
My plan tomorrow is to visit other places in the Four Corners area and then return to Santa Fe. It may be pretty late before I arrive there, so I don't know if I'll be able to post anything until the day after. But in any event, sooner or later, you'll get to see some of what I get to see. Stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment