Saturday, September 26, 2026

Another Walk In Santa Fe

Today I've pretty much taken it easy, but I got in another walk, going to downtown Santa Fe.  The first thing I wanted to see was the Palace of the Governors, originally built by Spanish colonists in 1610.  Used during periods of Spanish, Mexican and American governance, it was designated as a museum in 1909.  This is the south side of the palace, seen from its west end, with its name above a window.  The section of the adjacent street, Plaza Avenue, in front of the palace is reserved for pedestrians.

Across Plaza Avenue from the palace is Santa Fe Plaza, in the middle of which is this monument.

The east end of the south side of the palace also includes its name just above a window.

A block or so east of the plaza is The Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, the front of which is seen here.  (Yes, a church can be both a cathedral and a basilica.)

In front of the church is this statue of Archbishop Jean-Baptiste Lamy.

Here's the south side of the church, with its name on a nearby wall.

I also walked to the Loretto Chapel, which was built for the Sisters of Loretto starting in 1873.  Today it's a museum, but is still used to host weddings.  Someone put a bunch of tambourines, caution tape, and signs saying "don't touch" on a section of the fence in front of it.

After my brief stop at the Loretto Chapel, I went back to the plaza and found the stone monument that marks the end of the Santa Fe Trail.

For more about Santa Fe, go to New Mexico True and EBSCO.

No comments:

Post a Comment