Sunday, January 6, 2019

South Of The Border

As I had mentioned yesterday, I have crossed the border - into South Carolina.  As expected, I found no wall, but I did find the Mexican-themed tourist area known as South Of The Border.  The place includes several restaurants, a motor inn, a campground, a park, an observation tower, and a bunch of stores, variously located on both sides of a road which is both U.S. 301 and U.S. 501.  As you drive into SOTB, Pedro is there to welcome you.

Here's the sign for Fort Pedro, which is one of the stores, with the observation tower behind it.

This large sign, with an RV in front of it, may be seen from northbound Interstate 95.

This giraffe is one of many animal replicas strewn about SOTB.  Interstate 95 is in the background.

I also found this hippopotamus, which appears to be missing its lower left canine tooth.

This is a view from a walkway that crosses U.S. 301/501.

Finally, here's another shot of the observation tower, with its sombrero-shaped deck.  In front and to the left is a sign for El Toro, a gift and souvenir shop.

I had lunch in one of South Of The Border's restaurants and then continued southward on I-95.  I later stopped at a rest area just after a bridge took me across Lake Marion.  To my disappointment, the lake was not visible from the rest area.

During my time here in South Carolina, I'll make some more travel posts and will also resume my normal linking of things going on to some extent as time permits.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment