Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Savannah, Part 1 - River Street

This morning, I made my way down to Savannah, Georgia.  After finding and paying for a parking space for the new Bigfootmobile, I walked down to River Street, which is right on the Savannah River.  I soon came across this fountain, which included a replica of a ship.

Looking westward, I could see the bridge which I had crossed to get into the city, here with a container ship passing under it.  In the foreground is an area under construction and thus off limits to humans, but the seagulls didn't seem to mind.

Walking eastward, I reached the metal sculpture named "A World Apart".  The two sightseers serve to show some perspective.

The next sculpture I saw was the African-American Monument.

The Georgia Queen was in her dock along River Street.

This fountain includes an anchor.  The man toward the left was selling his paintings.

I eventually reached Morrell Park and the "Waving Girl" statue, with her little dog, too.

Also within Morrell Park is the 1996 Olympic Yachting Cauldron.  The Olympics that year were based in Atlanta, with the yachting events taking place in the waters around Savannah.  That's a large Westin hotel in the background across the river.

This last shot shows the sunlit backside of "Waving Girl" (which happens because she's facing north) and some of her surroundings, including a little bit of River Street.

For more on the African-American Monument, the Waving Girl, and the 1996 Olympic Yachting Cauldron, go to Visit-Historic-Savannah.  For more on "A World Apart", go to Roadside America.

1 comment:

  1. I never knew that about Savannah. Looks like we'll have to go. $7 a night can't be beat unless it's free now. So grateful and thank you.
    https://28thstreetmetrocruise.com

    ReplyDelete