Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Savannah, Part 2 - Bay Street

After my walk down River Street, I turned uphill and walked back along Bay Street toward where I had parked my car.  Bay Street is a block south of River Street, but definitely higher in elevation.  Just south of and above Morrell Park is Emmet Park, whose eastern end includes the Old Harbor Light and some anchors.

If you like trees and grass, you'll love Emmet Park, of which this is a section, looking west from the Old Harbor Light.  The park is named after Robert Emmet (1778-1803), who led an unsuccessful Irish bid for independence.

Continuing westward, I found this monument to veterans who served in Vietnam.  If you take a close look at the flat raised area, you can see that it is shaped like the outline of that country.

The next monument I found was this Celtic Cross, dedicated to Savannah's Irish community.

This monument is dedicated to veterans of the Korean War.

This cannon is a monument dedicated to the Georgia Hussars, organized by James Oglethorpe in 1736.  Please be sure to keep off the fence.  More information on some of the Emmet Park monuments may be found here.

I finally reached the west end of Emmet Park, but still had some walking to do.  Here is an inclined street and parking area leading down to River Street, spanned by a pedestrian bridge.

As I continued along Bay Street, I came across the old City Exchange bell.

Finally, I found these two cannons, presented by General George Washington to the city of Savannah in 1791.  According to the Georgia Historical Society, one is British and the other is French.

After my self-guided tour came to an end, it was time drive back to South Carolina, starting with that same bridge seen in Part 1.  If you ever get to visit Savannah, you will surely find it to be very photogenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment