Friday, February 24, 2017

Man In Wheelchair Climbs Mountain

This story comes via Growly(dot)us, but first, I must provide an intro of my own.

As I've previously mentioned, this blog's "badass" label is not limited by gender.  It is also not limited by species.  This post will show that the label is not limited by anyone's physical handicaps.  If you're partially paralyzed, but can still climb a mountain, while bringing your own wheelchair up with you, you're a freaking badass.  From Virasatu(dot)com:
On December 9th, 2011, champion rock-climber Lai Chi-wai suffered a motorcycle accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down. On the same day, five years later, he climbed Hong Kong’s iconic Lion Rock once again, this time in a wheelchair.
33-year-old Lai Chi-wai is a four-time winner of the Asian Rock Climbing Championships, but on a faithful day, five years ago, his promising athletic career seemed to be over, following a devastating motorcycle accident. “When I woke up, I was already in the hospital and had been operated on. The staff told me … I was paralyzed from the waist down and would be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life,” the young rock climber recalls.
Read the full story, and look at the pictures, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment