Thursday, January 4, 2024

Kissimmee Lakefront Park Area

Today I ventured out of my undisclosed location to make a brief visit to Kissimmee, Florida and its Lakefront Park.  After parking my rented temporary Bigfootmobile on a street next to the park, I wandered over to the nearby Monument of States, which includes stones from all 50 of them.  Above the stones are a concrete model of the earth, a metallic bald eagle, and a flag.  The bottom is surrounded by a temporary barrier.

Here's the monument from a different angle.  The branch in the upper left is on a tree that was mostly behind me from this viewing direction.

A short distance from the monument is a Veterans Memorial.

I continued down the appropriately-named Monument Avenue to the Bataan-Corregidor Memorial, which is at one corner of Kissimmee Lakefront Park.  This monument stands in front of and explains the purpose of the memorial, seen here in the background.

Here's the memorial itself, which comprises statues of an American soldier, a Filipino soldier, and a Filipina woman, and which commemorates the siege of Bataan and Corregidor and the infamous Bataan death march.

I took a closeup of the plaque in front of the statues.

My last stop on my self-guided walk was the Kissimmee Lighthouse.  It is located on a spit of land that sticks out into Lake Tohopekaliga, which is probably why it's also known as the Tohopekaliga Lighthouse.  You can see some of the local residents sitting on the top railing.

Finally, I took this shot from the lighthouse looking back toward where I had been within the park.

As you can see, all these photos were taken during cloudy weather, but as I was driving back to my undisclosed location, the sun came out.  In any event, there are more travels ahead.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment