Saturday, August 14, 2021

The Lewis & Clark Confluence Tower

A few miles north of Granite City, Illinois on state highway 3 is the Lewis & Clark Confluence Tower.  I stopped in yesterday afternoon for a brief visit before checking in to a local hotel, and returned early the next morning to go into the structure.  Here's the tower from the south.

Looking from the west, you can see that it's really two towers, connected by three platforms.

I took the above picture while standing on this paved bike path, which runs past the towers on the east bank of the Mississippi.  I'd say that there may have been a rail line here at one time.  You can see an RV parking lot to the right, with some kind of industrial facility behind it.

Returning this morning, I took this shot of the bases of the two towers, which are respectively named after the explorers Louis and Clark.

I was informed that the elevator (in the Clark tower) was not working, but was allowed to climb the stairs in the Lewis tower, which I did up to the first platform.  Looking west, I could see the aforementioned bike path, some high tension wires, and the Mississippi in the distance.

Shifting my view northward, I could see path curving leftward, with a road and some high tensions towers behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment