Saturday, June 8, 2019

Some More Of Indiana

There were two places I went to visit after leaving Vincennes.  The first was the longest historical covered bridge in the U.S., a mile or so east of Medora, Indiana.  The bridge is now bypassed by State Route 235, but may be crossed on foot.  Here's a shot from the north looking at its west end.

This shot looks into the bridge from the west.  The modern bridge, part of IN-235, is on the right.

I walked through and got a shot of the east end.

My last shot was from the north, looking at the east end.

To learn more about the Medora bridge, go to Roadside America and Only In Your State.

The second place I stopped into was the town of Metamora, which includes the Whitewater Canal Historic Site.  A small section of the canal appears to be still in use, similar to parts of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal back in Maryland, as indicated by the presence of this canal boat.

A railroad track runs beside the canal, and was guarded by this duck.  I gave him/her a little space as I passed by, and he/she did not flinch.

I've seen aqueducts, and I've seen covered bridges, of which the above is one example, but I had never before seen a covered aqueduct.  This one spans Duck Creek, a tributary of Whitewater River.

I took this shot to show the space between the aqueduct and the creek below, aiming my camera at the space between the aqueduct and the railroad.  Water spills downward from leaks.

Before leaving, I took another shot of the boat, this time from the other end.  She's named after one of the Founding Fathers.

Once again, it was time to hit the road and continue moving eastward.

No comments:

Post a Comment