Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Cantwell Cliffs

As my road trip continues, I have moved from an undisclosed location in Ohio to a similar one in Illinois.  Before taking my course farther west, I started out this morning with a hike in the Cantwell Cliffs area of Hocking Hills State Park, the state being Ohio.  Two years ago, I visited several other parts of Hocking Hills, so this one had been on my bucket list.  Here's one of the cliffs, where the trail took me above its top and then around the side.

I had to continue down these steps, in wet conditions which required me to proceed slowly and carefully.

Another set of steps took me upward.

I eventually reached this alcove, which had some steps below and in front of it.

This set of steps appears behind and between two large trees.

Another alcove contained this rock formation.

The last set of steps was in a narrow cleft in the rock, seen here from above, after I climbed out of it.

Back near the parking lot is this log cabin, which serves as a picnic shelter.

After the hike, I changed clothes in a bathroom and started on my course westward.  I have now visited every unit of Hocking Hills State Park that I have wanted to.  If I ever return to any of them, I hope to do so on a day without rain, but at least today I was able to take some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment