Friday, June 7, 2019

Back Into Illinois

As previously noted, I crossed the Mississippi from Missouri back into Illinois.  I made a brief stop at a small town named Liberty which includes a park of the same name.  In Liberty Park, all the world's a stage.

The park is somewhat well known for its interestingly shaped stone, known as the "mystery baby-making boulder".

I continued eastward toward Springfield, the state capital, but stopped at Lincoln's New Salem, a reconstruction of the village where our 16th president spent his early adulthood.  Most of the buildings I took pictures of would probably be reconstructed houses.  Here are two of them behind a fence.

This house includes a fenced-in garden and a separate shed.

This building also has its own shed.

I think this one is the barn.  Although I couldn't see any animals, I had no trouble smelling them.

This building appeared to have a separate room in the back and a bunch of visitors in the front.

This last one was partly in sunlight and partly in shade.  Whatever you do, don't walk out the door on the upper level.

On the archaeological trip I took around 2000, during which we visited the Rockwell Mound in Havana, shown a few posts ago, we did not stop at New Salem, which is why this place was on my bucket list.  There will be a few other things scratched off the list as I continue eastward.

No comments:

Post a Comment