Sunday, June 9, 2019

A Bit More Of Ohio

I have returned from my road trip.  After five nights in various hotels, I have reached my domicile here in Maryland.  The Bigfootmobile will be given a well-deserved rest, with my SUV (a.k.a. my spare car) getting some use.  (Both of them generate carbon dioxide, but the SUV gets most of the blame for climate change.  Interesting how that works.)  Most of today was spent driving, but I did stop at two places in Ohio.  One was a return trip, while the other was a recent addition to the bucket list.

The Leo Petroglyphs, a few miles from US-35, are named for the village where they are located, not for any resemblance to lions or the constellation Leo.  They are carved into a boulder, which sits under a wooden shelter that has a roof but no sides.  As a result, leaves often fall onto the rock, as seen here.  It can be difficult to determine which marks on the rock are natural and which are artificial, but some artificial marks, a.k.a. petroglyphs, have been filled in with pigment to enhance them.

This photo shows a different view.  I had previously visited the Leo Petroglyphs in 2003, on my way back from a wedding in Indiana.

The Buckeye Furnace is located not far from the Leo Petroglyphs, both sites being fairly close to the city of Jackson.  The site has its own store, here seen with a small dog in the front door.  According to the two ladies working inside, she was their "Walmart greeter".

Near the store is the covered bridge, which has been removed from its original location and mounted on concrete blocks.

The furnace includes not only the common stone structure shaped like a truncated pyramid, but two wooden structures attached to it, as shown here.

This shot shows the lower wooden section.

This poorly focused picture shows the lower interior part of the stone structure, below the lower wooden structure.

The furnace also includes a wooden structure detached from the other units.  I wanted to call it a "barn", even though it does not appear to have been used to house animals.

This shot shows the "barn", the stone structure, and the other two wooded sections.

Inside the "barn" was some sort of machinery.

With my visit to Buckeye Furnace complete, so was my sight-seeing.  There was nothing left to do but drive, stopping only for gas, food, and relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment