Thursday, June 6, 2019

On The Road In Illinois

After setting out from eastern Illinois, the first place I visited was Rockwell Mound in Havana.  Some time around 2000, I was on a tour of Indian mounds in Illinois and Missouri, which included a stop at this one.  The gazebo on top is modern, but the hill it sits on is a mound built by Indians about 2,000 years ago.

I eventually reached Hamilton, on the east bank of the Mississippi River, and turned northward.  Here is the Mississippi as seen from the Hoot Owl Rest Area, along state highway 96.  You can see clouds in the sky being reflected by the river, and Iowa on the other side.

Just south of Nauvoo, I stopped at a park named David's Chamber.  I don't know who David was, and I never saw anything resembling a chamber, but instead I found this waterfall.

About 100 feet upstream is a pedestrian bridge.

From here, it was about a half mile to Nauvoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment