Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Mars, Pennsylvania

The last place I got see on my latest trip was Mars.  Not the planet, mind you, but the borough in Pennsylvania.  Mars is located roughly between Pittsburgh to the south and Butler to the north, about a half mile off PA 228, between PA 8 and Interstate 79.  When I arrived, it was too early for lunch, but I did pay a visit to the local coffee shop, thus buying a cup of java from a real live Martian.  A nearby park included this flying saucer.

The park also included the bell from the USS Mars (AFS-1).  The nearby four-sided pole includes messages of "peace on earth" in four languages.

A short walk southward brought me to an old caboose.

On the other side of the railroad tracks was Mars Station.  The "caboose" to the right is a gift shop.

Near the station was this pavilion and wind vane.

Before leaving, I got a shot of the station from a different angle.  If you look closely at the window to the right, you can see a little green man.  Or if you ask me, a little greenish-yellow man.

For more shots of the flying saucer, go to Roadside America.  For more on Mars (the borough), go to Visit Butler County.

No comments:

Post a Comment