After getting some exercise in Jarvis Creek Park, I returned to two places I visited back in 2019. The first was Fort Howell and the other was Mitchelville Freedom Park. As I noted back then, Fort Howell has several sheet metal figures along the trail leading to the remains of the fort. This is the first one that I came across.
The sign in front of the next one indicates that the figures were made by local artist Mary Ann Browning Ford.
The figure on the left represents Union General Joshua Blackwood Howell, after whom the fort was named. Further away to the right is a figure of Harriet Tubman.
Unlike during my first visit, the walls of the fort were off limits for hiking. Instead, visitors can hike around the fort or inside it via a gap in the southern wall. To the left of the entrance are these signs indicating where a parapet, a gun platform, and a gun ramp used to be.
The inside area of the fort looked like this.
For more on Fort Howell, go to Hilton Head Island Land Trust, American Battlefield Trust, Hilton Head, SC and Heritage Library.
Historic Mitchelville Freedom Park is a short distance down the road from Fort Howell. The park includes frames that represent houses which stood there when Mitchelville was an organized town. I don't remember seeing them during my 2019 visit.
This appears to be a reconstruction of the front of a store. Some archaeological work was being done behind it and the adjacent fence.
Seven years ago, I walked out onto this viewing pavilion and took a picture looking back at the shore. This time, I took a picture of the pavilion.
Lastly, this frame represents a church.
Mitchelville was the result of the Union Army allowing freed slaves to build their own town instead of being sent to camps or temporary housing. To learn more, besides the link above, go to Hilton Head Beach & Tennis Resort, Gullah Heritage Trail Tours, Local Life and Beachside Getaway.
No comments:
Post a Comment