Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Return To Besh-Ba-Gowah

Back in 2002 during a previous trip to Arizona, I stopped in at the ruins of a site called Besh-Ba-Gowah and its adjacent museum in the city of Globe.  I decided to visit the place again.  It was built and occupied from about 1225 to 1400 by the Salado people, and later named by the Apache, which name roughly translates to "place of metal".  This time, the museum was closed but anyone visiting was allowed to walk around the ruins, so I did.  From what I understand, the ruins are partially reconstructed.  Here are the remains of some walls, which were made of rocks and mud-based mortar.

These are (or were) some more walls.

This wall includes an opening.  The modern building in the background is the museum.

Here's a complete building.

Another building has two stories.

The shaded side of the two-story building faces a plaza.

Finally, I took another picture of what were walls and enclosures.

No comments:

Post a Comment