Saturday, September 2, 2023

Chancellorsville Battlefield - Part 2

My tour of Chancellorsville Battlefield resumed with a stop at a place named Hazel Grove, which like McLaws' Line has a hiking trail.  It also has a row of Confederate cannons.

Behind the cannons are a row of caissons, which in action would be used to pull them.

The trail begins across the road from the cannons and caissons, and takes 1.5 miles for a round trip.  The trail led me to some earthen barriers constructed by Union troops.

About 100 feet more up the trail are some Union cannons.

Pretty close to the cannons is the Chancellor family cemetery, which is surrounded by a brick wall.

As I continued along the trail back to where I had started, I came upon this memorial to the 27th Indiana regiment.  Its face was in shadow.

I soon returned to the Bigfootmobile and drove back to my undisclosed location.  One thing I've realized from exploring historical battlefields is that all these cannons are probably fairly modern replicas and not the original artillery prices from the 1860s.  Even so, they're still photogenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment