Friday, July 15, 2022

Zzyzx Road

If all of the streets and roads in the United States were listed in alphabetical order, Zzyzx Road in California might come in last, or if not last, very close to last.  After continuing southward from Baker on I-15 for about seven miles, I exited at Zzyzx Road and turned south.  I eventually arrived at the parking lot for a place called Mineral Springs/Soda Springs.  Proceeding southward past the lot required permission, which an informal visitor such as myself didn't have, so I took a brief look around.  There was a grove of trees on the east side of the parking lot, seen in this first picture.  Although I didn't see any springs, the trees were evidence that there was water in the area.

Somewhere just beyond these rocks, trees and chains is the California State University Desert Studies Center.

The parking area has a shelter, which provides some shade.  This is certainly helpful when the temperature reaches three digits.

North of the parking lot are some hills, some bushes, and some more trees.

As I was about to leave, the sun came out, so I decided to take another picture of the trees on the east side of the parking lot.

With my intended photography complete, drove back northward on Zzyzx Road, got back onto I-15, and returned to Las Vegas.  I actually caught some rain on the way back.  This did not surprise me very much, because it rained yesterday in Las Vegas as well.

Let me point out that I-15 between Baker and Las Vegas was very crowded, which reminded me of I-40 in Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment