Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Grand Canyon - Eagle Point

Today I went on a tour of the West Rim of the Grand Canyon, which is really a western section of the South Rim.  It is located about 95 miles as the crow flies from Grand Canyon Village, which I visited and from which I hiked in 1990.  The places we saw were not in the Grand Canyon National Park, but on the Hualapai Reservation.  After we entered the reservation, we went to Eagle Point, which includes the recently constructed Skywalk, a glass-bottom horseshoe-shaped bridge.  Here is one view from Eagle Point.

The Skywalk is connected to building which also includes a gift shop and snack shop.  On an outside perch sat this local resident,  I think he said "nevermore!" or something like that.

From Eagle Point, I could see what looked like a side canyon, the main canyon being behind this rock wall and adjacent formations.

Because cameras were not allowed on the Skywalk, and due to its price of admission, I declined the opportunity to walk on it.  Fortunately, there was no prohibition on taking pictures of the Skywalk or people on it.

Near the Skywalk was a Native American Village, a set of rebuilt structures of various types which natives once lived in or otherwise used.  Front and center is a wickiup, which under a different spelling has a namesake town in Arizona.

The next structure, I think, might be another wickiup.


These are two hogans, a type of dwelling built by the Navajo.

This structure, which I judged to be about 5 feet tall, is a Hualapai sweat lodge.  What looks like a fire pit is in front of it.

The last native-type structure I saw was this Hopi house, made of stone, mud and timber.  To the left is an oven.

My tour group, some of whom went on the Skywalk, eventually regathered and headed for our next destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment