Saturday, July 16, 2022

Red Rock Canyon, From An Overlook

Today I decided to take a relatively short trip from Las Vegas to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, which is owned and managed by the Bureau of Land Management.  Driving on Nevada highway 159, I found an overlook which included a parking lot and a paved walkway leading uphill to a vantage point.  From there, I looked westward and saw these mountains.

Looking northward, I saw some hills that appeared to live up to the area's name.

Looking westward again, I saw some more mountains, one of them in sunlight.

As walked back to the parking lot, I took a shot of the vegetation near the walkway, which I believe included agave and Joshua trees, which really aren't trees.

The reddish hills eventually were in sunlight, so I decided to take another picture, but the focus doesn't look very good.

A young couple asked me to take their picture, so I tried to get the reddish hills into their background.  Whether I succeeded, I'll never know.  This post gets the "science" label because of geology and botany.

No comments:

Post a Comment