Saturday, July 7, 2018

Running Around Ohio Again

I now interrupt my normal blogging and linking to present my latest travelogue.  Once again, I've decided to go see some things in Ohio.  My first stop was a state park and memorial named Flint Ridge, located between Brownsville and Hanover.  The park includes a history and archaeology museum well worth the three-dollar admission fee, but not too many outdoor things I wanted to take pictures of.  Here's the park's sign.

As I parked my car, two small dogs, whose humans were occupying a picnic shelter, ran over toward me, barking all the way.  As I stooped down to pet them, one reared up and licked me right in the nose.  Near the parking area was a pond, which was very green.

As I drove westward toward Newark, I encountered once of those places for which you must provide evidence, if I ever claim to have seen it.  This is the building known as the "world's largest basket".  To learn more, go to Roadside America and Atlas Obscura.

I kept going west until I reached Dublin, a northern suburb of Columbus.  Turning northward, I stopped at Scioto Park, which features a monument to a Wyandot Indian known to white men as Chief Leatherlips.  As you can see, the kids love him.  The tree branches are not growing out of his head, but are on a tree behind him.

Here's a profile shot.  Read more about Chief Leatherlips at Columbus Neighborhoods, the Dublin Historical Society and the Wyandotte Nation.

Scioto Park was on the east bank of the river of the same name.  Here's a look at the other side.

In another part of Dublin is Indian Run Falls.  From an observation point, I saw this cascade, with some trees in the foreground.

I later found the falls, along with two gals who are definitely more adventurous than myself.  Looks like I again got some plant-life in the foreground, but this time, not very much of it.

That's all for now.  I later visited some mounds, and I don't mean the candy bar.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment