Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Angel Mounds

It's getting late, but I'd better report on the second place which I visited earlier today.  East of Evansville, Indiana is the Angel Mounds State Historic Site, which was inhabited by Native Americans from the Mississippian Culture from roughly 1,000 to 1,450 AD.  The park includes a museum which is currently undergoing renovation, but the mounds themselves were open.  Fortunately, the rain with which I had been dealing off-and-on for most of the day decided to hold off before I arrived.

After I entered the site, I noticed this reconstructed stockade, including openings through which arrows could have been shot.

I soon started walking toward the largest mound in the complex, known as Mound A.  It appears to have been constructed in two levels.

Here's a closer shot of Mound A.

Some distance away, behind and amid trees, is Mound C.

I kept walking around Mound A, and took this shot from its other side.

Off in another direction is Mound K, near another bunch of trees.

On my way out, I learned from a sign that this ring of modern bricks marks the site of a circular house built by the natives.

To learn more about Angel Mounds, besides the link above, go to Lewis And Clarke Travel, Only In Your State and Ohio River Parks Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment