Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Smith's Fort Plantation

Today I took a drive around southeastern Virginia and made a brief stop at Smith's Fort Plantation, which is on Virginia route 31 about two miles north of a town named Surry.  No one but me was around, so I walked around a bit and took a few pictures.  The driveway leads you up to the house, of which this is the front.

The original fort was built by Captain John Smith on the south side of the James River as a retreat position if Jamestown were to be attacked.  The house was built between 1751 and 1765.  Behind the house is a garden, surrounded by a fence line that includes two sheds.

Here are the sheds from another angle.

On one side of the house was the start of a trail and these two signs.  I could go on the trail but the Bigfootmobile and other vehicles were not allowed.

I walked down the trail for about a hundred feet, but could not find any trail markings.  All I could see was a field full of vehicles and farm equipment, so I decided that it was almost time to leave.

Before leaving, I took a pic of this well, which is in front of the house.

It was now time to hop back into the Bigfootmobile and head back to my undisclosed location.

No comments:

Post a Comment