Thursday, June 23, 2022

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Part 3

Today I went on my third foray into Great Smoky Mountains National Park, heading to the area known as Cades Cove.  On the way there, I stopped in at The Sinks, an artificial waterfall.  How did people make a waterfall?  By using dynamite to break up a log jam in a river.  Today, a road passes over the stream just above the falls.

Here are The Sinks from a somewhat different angle.

After I reached Cades Cove and its one-way driving loop, the first place I visited was the John Oliver Cabin.  A paved trail leads from a roadside parking area to the cabin.

Cades Cove includes three churches, all of which I briefly visited.  The first is Cades Cove Primitive Baptist Church, which is reached by a two-way gravel side road that intersects with the main loop.

Back on the main loop is Cades Cove Methodist Church, seen here with a bunch of fellow visitors.  It differs from the Primitive Baptist Church by having two front doors.  Next to the pulpit inside is an old piano, so I played a short version of Lady Madonna by the Beatles.

Behind the church is a cemetery.  From this angle, a large bush framed a headstone with the name "Myers".

Further on down the loop road is Cades Cove Missionary Baptist Church.  I took a picture from its rear since that end was in sunlight.

I eventually reached the Cades Cove Visitor Center, at the west end of the loop road.  Nearby is the Becky Cable House, which was built by a settler named Leason Gregg and later sold to Becky Cable, the daughter of John and Elizabeth Cable.

Behind the Becky Cable House is the John P. Cable Drive Through Barn.  However, since the barn is in a pedestrian area, literally driving through it is probably not a good idea.

Since I have another bunch of pictures from Cades Cove, I'll stop here and resume with another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment