Saturday, March 5, 2022

Looking For The People's Convoy

Earlier today, I went out to find the people's convoy and only partly succeeded.  I mainly found people who were trying to do the same thing as myself, which was to find a bridge over the convoy's route so we could salute them and they could honk at us.  As things turned out, the convoy, or at least most of it, has decided to postpone the final leg of their trip until tomorrow.  Even with this development, at the bridge I chose to visit, we got honked at by some trucks and cars.

My chosen observation point was the Appalachian Trail pedestrian bridge over Interstate 70, east of Hagerstown, Maryland.  Here's the north end of the bridge, accessible by a short connector trail leading from a parking lot on U.S. 40.  A small crowd had already gathered.  As the sign and post to the right both indicate, crossing the bridge takes you south on the AT while turning right takes you north.

This heart-shaped arrangement of locks was attached to the metal mesh of the bridge, above the westbound lanes of I-70.  I don't remember any locks from my previous visits to the bridge, but it's probably been about 12 years since I've been there.  I hiked all of the Maryland portion of the AT in stages back around 2010 or so.  The highway bridge in the background is U.S. 40.  The green sign below on I-70 says "SOUTH MOUNTAIN ELEV 1200 FT".

Continuing over to the eastbound lanes, I saw a group of trucks approaching the bridge.  I caught the tail end of one truck and a bunch of others in the distance.

An American flag was placed on the mesh of the bridge.

Here is most of the small crowd I was in, with faces deleted to protect the innocent.

Someone brought a big sign that said "THANK YOU", with the lettering facing outward for drivers to see.  The wind from the east was almost enough to hold up the sign by pressing it against the mesh.

A truck carrying cars approached going eastward, along with a bunch of other cars.

My last shot shows a tank truck and more cars approaching the bridge.

After learning from various other people hanging around that the convoy would largely be postponed until tomorrow, I decided that it was time to leave.  I'm hoping to catch something then.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment