Monday, October 22, 2018

On The Road In Southern Pennsylvania

As noted yesterday, after I left the Foxcatcher Farms covered bridge in the northeast corner of Maryland, I continued northward into Pennsylvania.  Not only did the road I was on have no number, but there wasn't even any sign indicating the state boundary.  I still found my way to PA route 841 and then PA 41, which led me northward to a town named Gap.  The place is somewhat famous for its clock tower.

At Gap, PA 41 runs into US highway 30, known along much of its length as the Lincoln Highway.  I proceeded westward and found a place to eat and then a place to stay for the night.  The next morning, before eating an early lunch, I found this Dutch-themed business.

Following a combination of Pennsylvania routes 896, 741, 272 and 372, I found my way to the Lock 12 Recreation Area, located just off PA 372 on the west side of the Susquehanna River.  A short trail led from the parking lot to the lock, which passed the side of an old limestone furnace.

The trail continued over a bridge, which spans a small stream.

The lock was surrounded by walkways, from one of which I could take this shot from the side away from the Susquehanna.  At the far end is another small bridge.

I was also able to see the inside of the lock from its southeastern end.

Finally, I took a shot from the side closer to the Susquehanna.

After taking these photos, I got back into the new Bigfootmobile and found my way back to Maryland and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment