Thursday, August 19, 2021

Harry Truman's Birthplace

President Harry S Truman was born in a house in Lamar, Missouri.  Today, it is a state historic site and is located on the corner of Truman and 11th Streets.  It was the last place I visited yesterday before returning to my (mostly) undisclosed location.  I arrived at the visitors center, across 11th Street from the house, as the people in charge of the place were getting ready to close up.  Even so, one of them decided to give me a tour.  She guided me over to and into the house and allowed me to look around.  Here's one view of the house.

According to the guide, this smokehouse and the well were on the property when Harry Truman was born.

I didn't take any pictures inside the house.  The guide pointed out that the property also includes two monuments and the yard behind them.  One is this shrine.

The other is this cenotaph near the corner of the yard, which extends to the fence in the background and was part of the property when Truman was born.

Diagonally across the intersection of Truman and 11th Streets and in front of a railroad is this lot, which during Truman's early childhood was used by his family to raise horses and mules.  Today it includes two picnic tables, two benches, and a gravel area for parking large vehicles.

Before leaving, I took another shot of the house from a different angle.  The outhouse to the left, according to the guide, was not present when the Trumans lived here.

I've now finally posted all the places I visited yesterday.  Today I decided to take a break from exploring.  To learn more about the Truman birthplace, go to Visit Missouri, Roadtrippers, Oh Ranger and Presidents USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment