Sunday, August 9, 2026

In And Around Strasburg, Virginia

Today I did some exploring in the area of Strasburg, Virginia, which I have passed through many times, but rarely visited.  The first place where I stopped in was the Deer Rapids suspension bridge, which spans the North Fork of the Shenandoah River.  I did not try to walk on the bridge due to the "no trespassing" signs around the adjacent parking lot, which was reserved for boaters and hunters.  But I still got this shot of the north end of the bridge.

An American flag was hung from the middle of the bridge, possibly to celebrate the 250th anniversary of our Founding.

To learn more about the Deer Rapids bridge, go to Wheree, Bridgemeister and The View from Squirrel Ridge.

The next place where I stopped was Fisher's Hill Battlefield, the site of a Civil War battle won by the Union that took place in September of 1864.  The Battle of Cedar Creek, whose site I visited in October of 2024, took place about a month later six or seven miles farther east.  According to an informational display, Confederate troops led by Lieutenant General Jubal Early occupied the hill behind these trees.

I walked up the hill and looked back to see all this silage.

Here's one of several informational displays along the trail around the battlefield.

The trail eventually led me into a forested (and thus shaded) area.  Next to another informational display is a bench made out of old railroad ties.

As I made my way back to the parking lot, I could see Interstate highway 81, which I've driven on more times than I could possibly remember.  The mountain in the background is the north end of the Massanutten range, whose south end I showed you a while back.


The last stop on today's excursion was The Strasburg Museum.  I took this shot of its interior, but my camera decided to focus on the wooden stair railings in the foreground.

In the corner of the museum's loft area was this child's bedroom exhibit.

Outside the museum is this replica of a steam locomotive.

Behind the museum are a caboose and a baggage car.

To learn more about The Strasburg Museum, besides its own page above, go to Shenandoah County, Strasburg Heritage Association and WhichMuseum.

No comments:

Post a Comment