Monday, March 6, 2023

On The Road Again

As mentioned in my previous post, I've gone on a small road trip to southern Pennsylvania.  However, the first place that I visited was in Maryland.  Near the intersection of state highways 24 and 136 is Kilgore Falls, along a creek called Falling Branch.  I parked in the designated lot and then took a hike.  The trail took me past this open area.

I continued down the trail and was able to get this shot of the falls.  It looked like a few trees had gone down over the rocks.

Another section of the trail brought me to the top of the falls.  I took this picture looking down from there.

After returning to the parking lot, I drove northward into Pennsylvania and went to the Lock 12 Recreation Area, along state highway 372 just west of the Susquehanna River.  This was a return visit, my first being in October 2018.  (See this blog's archives for that month.)  As with my first time there, I walked along a path which included a bridge over a small creek.  You can see a bit of the Susquehanna in the background.

The path led to the south end of the lock.

As I had done almost four and a half years earlier, I took a shot of the interior of the lock, facing north.  At the near (southern) end, it was too full of water to walk through.

Naturally, I walked on the of the lock, on its west side.  The "DANGER" sign, one of several in the area, tells visitors that if they hear a siren, they should get away from the river ASAP.

I took one last photo of the lock, this time from the bridge at its northern end.  You can again see the water at its bottom.

Before leaving the area, I drove the Bigfootmobile up a gravel road that ran roughly parallel to the Susquehanna to get a look at the nearby Holtwood Dam.  The west end of the dam included a stepped spillway.  The hill behind the dam is on the east side of the river.

My last dam shot included most of it, and the power plant across the river.  After this, it was time to drive across the river and look for an undisclosed location to spend the night.

Uncharted Lancaster has more on the Lock 12 area.

No comments:

Post a Comment