Thursday, March 2, 2023

New Oxford, Pennsylvania

Earlier today, I decided to take a little road trip northward into Pennsylvania to the borough of New Oxford, about 10 miles east of Gettysburg on U.S. 30.  At the center of the place is the New Oxford Town Square, which includes this flag pole.  I took some effort to find an angle at which electric wires don't cross in front of it.

The square includes a memorial to its military veterans.

Another memorial is dedicated to firemen and police officers who died while in the line of duty.

On the rock in the foreground is a plaque honoring Union bugler Theodore Pfeiffer, who died in 1864 after being wounded at White Plains, Virginia.  The three displays behind it honor World War II veterans.

A short walking distance west of Town Square is the New Oxford train station, in front of which is this Pennsylvania Railroad caboose.

Next to the station is this old railcar, which I think is a baggage car, from the Western Maryland Railway.  From what I can tell, the WMR should not be confused with the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.

I backed up and took a shot of the station and the WMR railcar from the north.  I think that the tracks on the right are still active.

My last shot shows the station and railcar from the south.

After my brief visit to the station, I walked back to square, and drove the Bigfootmobile back to Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment