Monday, July 12, 2021

Yorktown - Part 2

Continuing with my visit to the Yorktown battlefield, I made a brief stop at the Moore House, where Generals George Washington (U.S.) and Charles Cornwallis (Britain) negotiated terms of surrender.  The house is named after its then-owner Augustine Moore.

This field might look ordinary, but it's where the actual surrender of the British took place.  It's thus called Surrender Field.

In the clearing left of this sign was General Washington's headquarters.

This cross marks the general area where about 50 French soldiers who gave their lives at Yorktown.  To these men, we Yanks owe a large merci beaucoup.

Near the cemetery is an area called the French Artillery Garden, which includes this cannon.  It seemed to be in a sunlit area surrounded by shade.

My last stop was back at the visitors center, from which I walked into Yorktown to see the Yorktown Victory Monument.

Thus ends my report on the Yorktown battlefield.  To see the other place I visited today, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment