Monday, July 12, 2021

Jamestown - Part 2

Let me resume with my report from Jamestown.  After I reached the west end of the town, I turned back and saw these crosses, which mark an old cemetery.  In the background were the wooden structure I saw earlier, the Memorial Church, some other wooden structures, and a statue of Captain John Smith.

The statue of Captain Smith faces the James River.  He was one of Jamestown's founders and its governor for two years.  He was also a runaway slave who had escaped from the Ottoman Empire.

This is another wooden frame structure.

Right next to the James River, some more archaeology was being done.

I continued walking eastward and came upon the remains of two buildings.

To the east of them was another somewhat larger building.

My last picture shows the ruins of the Ambler Mansion, built in the 1750s by family named Ambler in the New Towne section of Jamestown.  The house was burned during the American revolution, restored afterwards, burnt down during the Civil War, restored again, and burned for a third time in 1895, after which it was abandoned.

This concludes my report from Jamestown, where the British started a colony that eventually became one of 13, which later joined to become the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment