Friday, April 30, 2021

Hiking Near The Black Hand Gorge

The Black Hand Gorge is a state natural preserve near Hanover, Ohio along the Licking River, and named after an prehistoric petroglyph in the shape of a black hand.  I stopped in to see two sites along a short trail on the north side of the river.  The first one was an old canal lock.  A short side trail led me down to its eastern end, which allowed me to take a picture its interior.

I also took this shot from on top of the lock near its western end.

The trail eventually led to the east side of an old railroad tunnel.  As I approached, I had to step around some fallen trees and logs.  The sign says "be kind".

I decided to take another picture after stepping around the timber.

To my pleasant surprise, the tunnel's floor was mostly dry, which made for an easy walk through it.  Here's the western end, from which I could look back and see the fallen timbers on the east side.

Next to the parking lot, near the small town of Toboso, is this cabin, which is protected by security cameras.

I was soon on the road again to see one more place.

No comments:

Post a Comment