Thursday, September 20, 2018

On The Road In Pennsylvania - Part 2

After viewing Williamsport from an overlook along U.S. 15, I drove downhill into the city to find some food and a place to stay the night.  The next morning, I headed westward to Lock Haven and then northward, generally following the West Branch Susquehanna River upstream to an unincorporated place named Hyner.  Following some signs, I drove uphill to Hyner View State Park.  Here's a view looking back down at Hyner and the river, which was certainly hazier than I'd like.  Somewhere behind the haze and further upriver is a placed called Renovo.

The park includes a statue to workers from the Civilian Conservation Corps.  In the near background are two flags on one pole.  In the far background are mountains on the other side of the river.

These stones form a memorial to the area's forest firefighters.

Here are the two flags, with mountains across the river in the background.

I drove back down and made a brief stop at Hyner Run State Park, before retracing my drive southward.  I stopped for some lunch at Lock Haven before checking out Veterans Park.  The embankment to the right is a levee for the West Branch.

I climbed the stairs that run up the side of the levee to see the river.  Here's the West Branch Susquehanna River as it passes Lock Haven.  The paved path at the left runs along the top of the levee.  The other path leads down to the river.  I have a feeling that the local authorities would prefer that visitors stay on the former.

After taking these picture, it was time to continue southward back to Maryland.  Stay tuned for more of my regular content.

No comments:

Post a Comment