Saturday, June 30, 2018

Perryopolis

Perryopolis is a borough in southwestern Pennsylvania located along state highway 51, and mostly on the east side thereof.  At its center is Washington Square, which includes eight points.  In other words, the square may be approached from the north, south, east, and west, along with all of the diagonal directions.  A few blocks east of the square is Harry Sampey Park, just south of which is a grist mill once owned by George Washington.  The park includes a large pavilion.

Near the pavilion was a bunch of rocks.

There were a few other buildings, along with some poles for electric cables and lights.

I found a sign pointing toward Washington's mill, so I walked down the path leading in that direction.  Unfortunately, this was as close as I could get, because of a chain link fence and a "private property" sign.  I placed my camera's lens between two metal links to get this picture.

I was able to find this small log cabin east of Harry Sampey Park.

Needless to say, I was quite disappointed that I couldn't explore the grist mill.  To learn about the mill and Perryopolis, go to MillPictures and Fay-West.

No comments:

Post a Comment