Monday, July 1, 2013

Excused From Jury Duty

Several weeks ago, I received a summons for jury duty, requiring me to show up at the county court house tomorrow (July 2nd) if the "call-in" number on my summons fell within a range of such numbers that would be revealed today.  According to the court house's website, my number is outside the range, which results in my being excused for two years, without even having to show up.

My only previous experience with the jury system came during the late 1990's, when I was summoned and required to show up, the practice of revealing "call-in" numbers the previous evening not yet being established.  I remember that we jurors were initially told that eight trials had been scheduled for that week, but later on were informed that three of them had been cancelled because of one or two plea bargains and one or two out-of-court civil settlements.  (I don't remember which kind of deal there were two of, and which there was one of.)  Another trial was put on hold because the defendant did not show up.  As a result of all this, the courthouse had about twice as many prospective jurors as they needed, so before noontime had even rolled around, a large number of us including myself were excused.  I grabbed a quick lunch and soon afterwards showed up at work, and told my boss how things had gone.

Tomorrow, some of my co-workers might learn that there had been a possibility that I would not be at work,  but otherwise, everything will be normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment