Saturday, July 6, 2013

An Eventful Few Days

It seemed that no sooner than I arrived at my parents' house this past Wednesday that the news arrived that President Mohammed Morsi of Egypt had been ousted by his country's military.  The Egyptian constitution has been suspended and the head of constitutional court, Adli Mansour, has been appointed interim president.  Morsi is now under house arrest.  President Obama has called for a review of U.S. aid to Egypt since American law forbids aid to countries in which a democratically elected leader is ousted in a coup.  Egypt's people are divided between supporters of Morsi and supporters of his ouster, stirring fears of civil war.  In reaction to Morsi's ouster, Egyptian stocks surged and oil prices had a slight decline.

I drove through light rain on the way down to Virginia on Wednesday.  The rain became heavier during the last 20 miles or so of my trip.  The heavy rain continued during the evening and most of the following might.  On Thursday, July 4th, I saw water spouting through a hole in a manhole cover down the street, and slightly downhill, from my parents' house.  Friday morning, it was still coming up.

Now that I'm back home in Maryland, I find out that an airplane come Seoul, Korea has crash-landed at the San Francisco Airport.  Some facts and video of the crash may be found here.  More on the story may be read here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment