Monday, September 21, 2026

Salinas Pueblo Missions - Abó

After visiting the Quarai and Gran Quivira units of the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument, I returned to the town of Mountainair and proceeded west on U.S. route 60 to the Abó unit.  The main structure of the unit is the ruins of a church and adjacent pueblo ruins.  This is a view from the unit's parking lot.

Near the parking lot is this separate rectangular structure, with the visitor center, a flag, and a telephone pole in the background.

Another rectangular building was also near the parking lot.

A paved walkway leads around the church and adjacent ruins, so I got this shot,....

........this shot,....

....and this shot.

The trail eventually led into the church and adjacent ruins.  Here is a small section of the interior walls.

Finally, as I did in the Gran Quivira unit, I found a kiva.

To learn more about the Abó unit, besides the link above, go to RoadRUNNER and AdamMartin(dot)SPACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment