Monday, November 1, 2021

Caledonia Furnace

Earlier today, I took a short trip up to Pennsylvania to see the Caledonia Furnace, in Caledonia State Park.  The furnace and an adjacent parking lot are located near the intersection of U.S. 30 and PA 223.  It includes a truncated pyramid structure, common among the furnaces I've seen, along with some other stonework on either side.  As seen in this picture, three interpretive displays stand in front of the furnace.

This shot from a different angle includes a sign that points to the Thaddeus Stevens Historic Trail.  It's somewhat difficult to read because sunshine prevented its letters and background from having much contrast between them.  The stonework to the left of the truncated pyramid supports a crude stone and dirt stairway which, if you're careful, brings you to the top of the furnace.

According to this plaque on the front of the furnace, Thaddeus Stevens built the furnace in 1837 and named it after his native Caledonia, Vermont.  It was destroyed by Confederate General Jubal Early in 1863 during the Civil War and later rebuilt.

I took a brief walk along the Thaddeus Stevens Historical Trail and came upon a water channel.  It reminded me of some mill races I've seen, but I don't know if there was ever any mill in the area.

I returned to the furnace and walked up the crude stairway to get this shot of the top, with U.S. 30 and PA 233 in the background.  You can also see part of the parking lot.

On the other side of PA 233 is Stevens's blacksmith shop, with an adjacent flagpole.

I also took this shot from a different angle.  I couldn't get too far away from the front of the shop because doing so would have put me into the traffic lanes of U.S. 30.

Between the furnace and the blacksmith shop is a creek, in which I would have been allowed to fish had I arrived several decades ago.

For more on the furnace, the park, and Mr. Stevens, go to The Gettysburg Compiler, Quintessential Pennsylvania, The Historical Marker Database and Clio.

UPDATE:  YouTube user The Wandering Woodsman visits the Caledonia Furnace and explores the Charcoal Hearth and Thaddeus Stevens Historic Trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment